The Civil Network “OPORA”is a non-governmental, non-political and financially independent nationwide network of public activists. We have teamed up to enhance public participation in the political process by developing and implementing models of citizens’ influence on the activities of state and local government in Ukraine.
We work to develop civil society in Ukraine as the foundation of a sovereign, independent, democratic, social and legal state.
Strategic objectives of the Civil network “OPORA”:
- Ensure the openness and transparency of state and local government in Ukraine
- Support and develop the social groups and environments at local communities, their association in the nationwide network of cooperation and communication.
- Develop and implement the innovative training system of community activists.
Priority areas of CN OPORA:
- Educational policy - development and testing of integrated public observation mechanisms for independent external testing (EIT) and admission to higher education during all phases of the process.
- Municipal policy - development and implementation of the effective institutionalized model for condominiums’ organization in Ukraine.
- Election process - providing a comprehensive long-term monitoring and analysis of the electoral process and program activities of political parties in Ukraine, observations during the elections.
Forms and methods of our work:
- Monitoring and public control (watch-dog activity)
- Research and policy analysis
- Civic education
- Law education and human rights of citizens
- Social media lobbying
- Civic journalism
- Direct actions
- Legislation development
- Protection of rights and public interests (advocacy
1. Decentralized management
this principle means that, along with the implementation of obligatory national issues of the Network, attention will be paid to implementation of local strategies and local campaigns, taking into account the characteristics and needs of the region or sector as such that promote objectives of Civic Network and won’t contradict its national strategy.
2. Free communication
messages, contacts, joint action between the structural units of the network are encouraged hence they promote greater institutionalization and motivation of structural units and enhance its viability and resistance to external intervention.
this principle means building the structure "from the bottom", relying primarily on civil activists for it increases the stability, renewal and development of the Network. Responsibility for specific tasks and areas are localized to specific managers, but they are also responsible for preparing an adequate substitute and periodic rotation of senior staff. This significantly increases the motivational element and reduces the negative effects of the use of levers of power by individuals. Strategy vectors of the structural units’ development determine the local coordinative councils, thus reducing the impact of the problematic "chief factor" in decision-making and the proportion of inadequate decisions.
all strategic decisions about network activities of civic activists and centers of activity are taken into account with consideration of views of local authority representatives on the basis of a consolidated democracy, open vote or consensus.
5. Political impartiality
network activity may not be used in the election campaign for candidates, parties or blocs.
6. Political openness
goals, objectives and principles, methods and means of the Network are open and public.
7. Financial openness
network funding is open and all units are required to publish financial information and report on activities at the end of period (end of project year, campaigns, etc.).
8. Financial independence
any financial donors have no other levers of influence on strategy or tactics of the Network, in addition to the advisory, with mandatory consultation with the coordinating body for the appropriate level of Network.
all the activities of the Network are managed by the applicable laws, Constitution and international norms.
all Network participants agree to act within the overall strategy and network strategies of individual projects / campaigns that adhere to the principles of the requirements for management and structural unification, corporate identity, etc.